Make a Difference at Tap Cancer Out
Are you looking for a job in BJJ?
Are you looking to take the fight to cancer?
Are you looking to travel around the country?
At Tap Cancer Out, we fight for those in the fight of their lives. We have donated more than $900,000 to cancer-fighting organizations, and it’s only just the beginning. Want to help?
We are expanding our team as we take our innovative tournament series on the road this fall! We’re looking to add a number of team members to support essential tournament management functions.
Check out our available positions below and let us know if you think you’d be a good fit.
Available Part-Time Positions:
Click on job title to expand and learn more
The Bracketing Organizer is the primary point-of-contact managing competitor registrations and division brackets on our Smoothcomp tournament platform (prior experience with Smoothcomp is helpful but not required) before and during our Tap Cancer Out BJJ Open events.
- Managing competitor registration concerns leading up to the event
- Troubleshooting competitor updates, changes, and bracket organization prior to the event
- Working with competitors, coaches and parents as well as our Check-In and Weigh-In staff to ensure accurate and responsible placement of all competitors
- Working with our Ring Coordinators to ensure efficient deployment and management of brackets
- Treat our competitors, coaches, staff, and guests with the utmost respect and kindness
- Report to the Executive Director and work closely with him throughout the event
- Developing an in-depth understanding of our Smoothcomp tournament management system (On-site training will be provided but the Bracketing Organizer is expected to work on their own time to become proficient with the software)
- Join the team in setting up and breaking down the event
Tournament experience, whether as an organizer, volunteer, and/or competitor is a MUST. Potential candidates with the most experience hosting, managing, or working at tournaments will be prioritized.
- Highly motivated to work within social entrepreneurship (not just BJJ)
- Strong understanding of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, including BJJ tournament structures, weight classes, age classes, belts, etc.
- Experience in tournament management, support, or volunteer roles (ex: tournament host, ring coordinator, table worker)
- Strong proficiency using both Mac and PC operating systems and various browsers
- Strong relationship management capabilities and comfortability speaking with competitors, coaches, parents, and supporters
- Proven ability to problem-solve quickly under high-pressure situations
- Ability to act with energy, passion, friendliness, and responsibility throughout events that can exceed 12+ hours
- Flexibility to assume other roles and responsibilities at the event as needed without advanced notice
- Ability to work and make decisions both independently and within teams
Since our events are all over the country, our Bracketing Organizer does not have to live near TCO headquarters in Connecticut. However, we will take into consideration the convenience of candidates who live in the New England and Tri-State region that can drive to and take part in our tentpole events throughout the year as to minimize travel costs.
Time Requirements and Timing:
Part-time (event-specific weekends, typically Friday-Sunday).
*Potential Bracketing Organizer(s) MUST join us at our Buffalo BJJ Open on July 14th in Buffalo, NY, to train on the platform and experience our events firsthand. Travel, lodging, and meals will be provided. No stipend will be provided for potential Bracketing Organizer(s) to train at this event and there is no guarantee of future employment.
We will host 11 tournaments in total in 2018 (two of which have already concluded this past January and March), with 9 tournaments remaining. 7 of those tournaments will occur in September and October of 2018 as part of our “Grappling for Good Tour.” The Bracketing Organizer will be tasked with attending and managing a yet-to-be-determined number of these tournaments. Potential candidates will be given more specifics on this as needed.
- The position is part-time: Bracketing Organizer will receive a negotiated stipend per event + have all travel/food expenses covered*
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience
- No benefits provided
*Events where Bracketing Organizer is being trained will not include a stipend, though travel expenses will be covered
About the Tap Cancer Out BJJ Open:
The Tap Cancer Out BJJ Open (and Grappling for Good Tour) are Tap Cancer Out’s innovative tournaments held in cities across the country that allow the BJJ community to fight for those in the fight of their lives. Participants are encouraged to fundraise to earn their entry fee as well as other perks from Tap Cancer Out and its sponsors. Tap Cancer Out has hosted 20+ charitable tournaments across the country and empowered 6,000+ fundraisers to generate 20,000+ donations in support of the fight against cancer.
About Tap Cancer Out:
Tap Cancer Out is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that motivates and empowers the Brazilian jiu-jitsu community to raise awareness and funds for cancer-fighting organizations. The proceeds raised by Tap Cancer Out through our innovative fundraising tournaments, sponsorships, and merchandise sales are given directly to benefit the foundations dedicated to fighting cancer on behalf of the BJJ community. Since 2011, we’ve raised and directly donated over $900,000 in the fight against cancer. Our 2018-2019 beneficiary is Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.